“Just for today, do not worry.” –Dr. Mikao Usui
Reiki is a hands-on Japanese stress-reduction technique that creates space for your mind-body system to physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually heal itself. Reiki addresses a realm of mind and body energy that is beyond the approaches of Western medicine. As such, Reiki can also be done via geographical distance (i.e. the Reiki practitioner and the client are not located in the same physical space).
What can you expect?
You’ll lie comfortably on a massage table or sit in a chair (fully clothed), while gentle music plays in the background. If you are not sensitive to them, scented oils may be used to create a relaxing, spa-like environment where you can really unwind and let go of all your worldly concerns.
During the session, the Reiki practitioner will lightly place or hover their hands in various positions around your head and neck, chest, ribs and abdomen, ankles and feet.
Because everyone has unique challenges, lives, bodies and minds, each person experiences Reiki differently. Here are examples of things you might notice during your session:
- The practitioner’s hands get hot or cool
- You feel areas of hot, cool, tingling, itching, or movement in places on or within your body. (These may or may not correspond to where the practitioner’s hands are placed.)
- Seeing colors or shapes behind your closed eyes
- Connecting to emotions like sadness or anger—some people cry.
- You’re so relaxed that after a few moments you drift to sleep.
The effects of a session may last beyond the session itself. Afterwards, my clients have reported:
- Feeling more centered and grounded
- Seeing colors more vibrantly
- Having more energy
- Easier and deeper breathing
- Experiencing less pain from chronic health issues
- Feeling more open and aware
- Faster healing from acute injuries
- Sleeping more soundly
What conditions is Reiki good for?
- Reiki is important for anyone who is feeling overwhelmed with day-to-day life—for anyone who needs to slow down, and care for themselves a little more.
- Reiki is not only a wonderful experience for those with chronic stress, but is also very helpful for those with chronic illnesses or pain.
- Reiki is useful for supporting changes a person may want to make (i.e. letting go of a habit and/or reinforcing a new one).
- Reiki is also excellent to do before and after having a medical procedure, to help prepare mentally and physically, to handle the actual event, and to recover effectively1.