- Olive oil
- 1/2 butternut squash (cut lengthwise)
- 1 leek
- 3 scallions
- 2 cloves fresh garlic or 1 Tbsp chopped garlic from a jar
- The tops from one fennel bulb
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Roast the squash in the oven until really soft. Cool until you can scoop the innards into a bowl.
- Roughly chop the garlic (if fresh), leek, the scallions, and the fennel tops. Then heat a medium-sized pan or wok over medium heat, adding a few Tbsps of olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the garlic, scallions, leek, and fennel. Sauté until they soften.
- Place the squash innards and the sauté mixture into a pot. Add the water, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 30-45 minutes, or until everything is squishy.
- Place near soup mixture into a blender (I love my Vitamix!). Run it through until the soup reaches your desired consistency. (I did mine by moving slow through variable speeds 1-10 and then quickly back down.)
- Ladle into a bowl and ENJOY!